Sunday, December 15, 2013

ING Miami Marathon training: week five report

This was the longest training week to date for the year, having run 90 miles since Monday (100 in the last eight days, but who's counting?).

The highlights:
  • On Tuesday (interval day), I tried on a new pair of shoes. The insole kept sliding out the back of my left shoe every few laps or so as John and I charged around the Lakebottom Park track. This was quite annoying, and I returned the shoes a few days later. I think I may just stick with my tried-and-true Nike Lunaracers. Experimenting anymore so close to my marathon might be a bad idea.
  • On Friday, I ran a few miles around the Columbus Country Club early in the morning, primarily on the cart paths. I may do this more often, but instead include running on the lush fairways to give the feet some rest.
  • The Saturday long run including running up two of the biggest hills in the area on the Phenix City side of the Chattahoochee River. What I most like about this run was that we got in some good hill training during the first 10 miles, followed by eight pancake-flat miles along the river valley south of town. I may do this route next Saturday as a progression run.
I feel really fresh despite the long mileage, and think that I need to start training a bit harder as Miami is only seven weeks away now.

No comments:

Post a Comment